The Cascade Highlands are located in the Northwest North
and Southwest Virginia. It is in the foothills of the NC
mountains. Most of the area is in the Piedmont and the
mountains. Cities and towns located in this area include
Sparta, Roaring Gap, Wilkesboro, Jonesville, Elkin, Mount Airy,
Dobson, Pilot Mountain, Danbury and Yadkinville. The Virginia
border runs through the area as does the Blue Ridge Parkway,
the Yadkin River, the Dan River and I77. Asheville is 160 miles
away. Charlotte is 75 miles away. Greensboro is 60 miles away.
Raleigh is 146 miles away.
The Cascade Highlands region of North Carolina offers outdoor
adventure, wineries and vineyard tours, festivals, events, music,
dance and arts and crafts. There are 4 State Parks here. Go
hiking, horseback riding or mountain biking on trails. Fish.
Hunt. Swim. Camp. Canoe. Kayak. Enjoy scenic views or watch
wildlife. Go rock climbing.
Blue Ridge Parkway
Travel 80 miles of the
Blue Ridge Parkway in the Cascade Highlands region.
- Doughton Park, on the Blue Ridge Parkway near
Sparta, Roaring Gap, is a 7000 acre park located at
milepost 238.5. Explore pioneer cabins. Hike. Camp. Rent
Dobson - 3 vineyards.
Elkin - 2 vineyards.
Mt. Airy - historical sites, museums, Andy Griffin
hometown, winery, vineyards, world's largest open face
Pilot Mountain - hiking, boating, climbing, state park
Sparta - winery with tours and tasting.
Wilkesboro - Frescoes at St. Paul's Episcopal church, W.
Kerr Scott dam and reservoir, boating, fishing, Wilkes
Community college gardens, museum.
Yadkinville - vineyard - taste wines, tour
- Hanging Rock State park near Danbury, Mt. Airy, Pilot
Mtn. - waterfalls, scenic views, cabin rentals, hiking trails,
camping, boating, rock climbing, swimming.
- New River State Park near Sparta - trout fishing, camping,
picnic areas, birding, scenic trails.
- Pilot Mountain State Park - bird watching, camping,
fishing, hiking, picnic areas, fishing, rock climbing
- Stone Mountain State Park near Roaring Gap, Sparta -
hiking, camping, rock climbing, picnic areas, fly fishing.
Trails - Hiking, Biking, Horseback Riding
- Dan River trail, near Danbury, Mt. Airy, Pilot Mountain
on the Dan River - Canoeing, rafting, tubing, rentals and
guided trips available from local outfitter companies.
- Dark Mountain Trails near Wilkesboro - 7.5 miles,
steep, mountain bike trails
- Sauratown trails near Pilot Mtn, Mt. Airy - 35 miles
of trails for horseback riding, hiking from Hanging Rock
state park to Pilot Mountain state park.
Lakes - Reservoir
- Berlews Lake near Danbury, Walnut Cove
- Kerr Scott Dam and reservoir near Wilkesboro - fishing,
boating, camping, hunting, fishing, hiking, mountain biking,
scenic views, wildlife.
Rivers - Fishing, canoeing, kayaking, tubing, float
- Dan River
- New River
- Yadkin river
Museums - Historical Sites
- Andy Griffith Playhouse in Mt.Airy- statue of Andy and
- Home Creek Living historical Farm south of Pilot Mountain,
- Mt. Airy museum of Regional History - exhibits on And
Griffith, Tommy Jarrell, Siamese Twins, Civil War uniforms
- Moratock Iron Furnace at Danbury - remains of a smelting
furnace used to produce iron for Confederate Army
- Richmond Hill Law School - guided tours of home of NC
Chief Justice Richmond Mumford Pearson of late 1800s.
- Sparta Teapot Museum of Craft and design - collection
- Wilkes County Heritage Museum - located in 1902 restored
courthouse building, NASCAR memorabilia, exhibits on moonshining,
Daniel Boone, Tom Dooley.
Festivals and Events
Maybe subject to change
- Alleghany County Fiddlers' convention - old time bluegrass
competition - July - Sparta
- Autumn Leaves Festival - 3 days - downtown Mount Airy
- October - music, crafts, food
- Brushy Mountain Apple Festival - October - North Wilkesboro
- arts and crafts
- Kingfest - October - King Central Park King - bike race,
music, crafts, fishing tournament, car show
- Merlefest - bluegrass music - 4 days - Wilkesboro
- Mountain Heritage Festival - September - Sparta - music,
crafts, antique cars, food
- Stokes Somp Festival on the Dan - Moratock Park on Dan
River - September - Danbury - music, crafts, vendors
- Yadkin Valley Grape festival - October - Yadkinville
- Yadkin Valley Harvest Festival - September - crafts,
- Yadkin Valley Bluegrass Convention - April -