The town of Tryon is located off US 176, east of Saluda and close to the NC/SC border. It is at the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains. It has been used as a training center for the US Olympic equestrian teams. In the center of downtown, since 1928, is a statue of a toy horse named Morris.
The town offers historic inns, bed and breakfast inns, unique shops, restaurants, orchards, vineyards and outdoor recreation.
Attractions include Arts and Crafts shops and the fine arts center.
The Tryon Fine Arts Center is located on Melrose Avenue. The center features performing arts that include both drama and music. It also offers classes.
TheTryon Arts and Crafts School is located at 373 Harmon Field Road. Studios are available for jewelry making, fiber arts, multimedia arts and more.
Greene Corner located on Melrose Avenue is a beautiful garden with a gazebo and is perfect for wedding photos.
Harmon Field park is located on Harmon Field Road near NC Hwy 108 and US Hwy 176. The park has trails, a garden, a playground, a putting green, baseball fields, soccer fields, basketball courts and tennis courts.
Pacolet Scenic Byway is a scenic drive between Saluda and Tryon. Along the drive, see the Pacolet river with waterfalls.
Pearson's Falls Natural Heritage Site has a waterfall 90ft high. It is located off US176 between Saluda and Tryon. Go hiki.ng, biking anpicnicking. The area has beautiful wildflowers to enjoy
Rogers Park is located in downtown with an open-air amphitheatre and trails.
The Foothills Equestrian Nature Center offers hiking trails, horseback riding trails and bird watching. There are picnic areas, events and concerts. features the Tryon Horse Shows .
Steeplechase races held in April and October.
The Cherokee Nation once occupied the area. It was called Xuala. The Spanish explorer DeSoto arrived on horses in 1540 on their journey. White traders and settlers began to move into the area about 1730. A post office was established in the area about 1830 and named for Colonial Royal Governor Tryon 1765-1771. The town was incorporated in 1885.